Monday, November 27, 2017

PRESIDENT TRUMP’S “INSTIUTUTIONAL RACISM” PROBLEMATIC IN U. S. GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRACY


PRESIDENT TRUMP’S “INSTIUTUTIONAL RACISM” PROBLEMATIC IN U. S. GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRACY

               IN 1974, I was hired by the Department of Health & Human Services by Regional Administrator Charles Goady, who is an African-American, and Republican, “To End Institutional Racism against Native Americans in Departmental Programs.” That was my job description! I was attached to the regional administrator’s office as a Special Assistant for Native American Affairs, therefore I had the power to carry out my duties as assigned, but there was no game plan to follow because I was the first Native American to hold the position. Today, thanks to Charles Goady, there are Native American “desks” in all ten regions of the country created by the Civil Service Commission. We made history for the Indians and I put the newly created position to good use. In San Francisco, Region Nine, I helped Indian tribes to understand their rights to access federal programs, and when states refused to serve Indians, I taught them the rules of Equal Opportunity that demand service on the basis of income and need, not on the basis of race. Indian clients were being told to go back to the reservation to get services, which is not only racist, but illegal. I got a few high level department officials fired for racism and I was transferred to Denver, Region Nine, and it was a hotbed of racism against Indians. The first fight I had was with the State of Montana, Director of Social Services, who said in a meeting at the regional office with me present, “We don’t serve Indians off the reservation, they have their own tribal programs on the reservation”. Of course, I was well trained in departmental rules & regulations, so I asked her on what basis the Indians were denied social services available to every other American? Her face got red, and she looked to the regional director for help, but he knew better than to openly support institutional racism in the federal government. I asked her if all “income eligible” clients were served on the basis of poverty or race In Montana? Do only white people get served in Montana? She would not answer, so I told her wherever the Indians roam, they are Americans, and are eligible to be served on the same basis as any others in the United States. The meeting blew up after I got done telling the Montana director a lawsuit was heading her way if Indians were not served on the same basis as whites. Federal dollars not state dollars pay the bills and whoever takes federal dollars also take federal laws, and are subject to federal courts. The regional director called for my firing immediately and I filed an Equal Employment Opportunity Discrimination Complaint. I was being fired for standing up for a minority discriminated against by the Montana Department of Health & Human Services. How could the Indians win under such political powers? I called in all of the Indian grantees and told them the situation and I told them it was up to them whether I filed a class action suit against the state of Montana and the Department of Health & Human Services. The grantees backed me up except for chairman Old Person, who is a BIA operative, stooge, uncle tomahawk, Blackfeet Chief, and sex pervert convicted of incest in traditional court. He was blackmailed by BIA, and is the most hated Indian in the country for giving confidential information to the BIA in the Cobell Case. Mrs. Cobell had to remove him as a co-plaintiff in the Cobell Case class action lawsuit. You never know when your leaders are selling you out! Be careful who you elect June, 2018.  Institutional Racism in Health & Human Services Departmental Programs ended by Federal Government Executive Branch ordering states to begin serving Native Americans on or off the reservation. All of us are “Equal Under The Law.” Blackfeet are served even in Glacier and Pondera County without taking their trust lands because of Charles Goady’s commitment to human rights. I am now 70 years old and I need the health & human services I get in Missoula, it’s a good thing I fought for Indian rights in 1974!

No comments:

Post a Comment